With the rise of consignment shops and resale websites, the value of a quality investment in clothes have significantly risen. Instead of buying on trend pieces (that are in the long run a waste of money) start looking at staple pieces that are made from high quality material. These will last longer and are timeless. Adding piece like this to your closet will change your look and eventually save you money.
Elizabeth Hendrickson, actress and owner of La Petite (a girls only shopping social of vintage pieces), knows this better than anyone. Therefore, we asked her what essentials are a must have to start building your closet with investment pieces. Heres what she had to say! :
1. I have a problem and it’s called leather jackets. I have about 10 and I’m always looking for my next new fave. A sexy biker jacket goes with just about anything. Wear it with your jeans, wear it over a cute dress, hell wear it over your skivvies while you’re walking around the house. Just get one – it will pretty much change your life. This Fall, my favorite was the leather biker jacket by Zara, perfect hardware and excellent fit. Splurge? Helmut Lang and Alexander Wang never let me down.
2. Your staple black pump. Well its pretty simple…they go with everything above . Dress up your casual jean ensemble, dress up your LBD, wear them with you new fab leather jacket, trust me, you just need a pair. When it comes to purchasing your first pair i say go big or go home! You will have them forever and can pass them down to your daughter one day, she will be so “pumped” to get moms vintage heels. How about the Yves Saint Laurant Paris Leather pumps? Yes Please.
3. Hats pretty much solve every problem. Bad hair days, protecting you from the rain/sun and being the perfect accessory to any outfit. Thats why a well made hat is a great investment. Once you find the perfect one you won’t be able to live with out it. My favorite is the Undertaker by Mle Hagen.
4. Diamonds ARE a girls best friend, don’t lie. I never take mine out. I wear them all day, everyday. Thats why I’m obsessed with Rebecca Meyer diamond bar earrings. They go with everything and they have that little edge that makes them stand out against your normal boring stud. Why wouldn’t you want something brightening up your beautiful face? If you have a loser boyfriend who won’t buy them for you, get the more affordable but comparable pair by Dana Rebecca (but if he’s buying, splurge on Meyer). Just go treat yourself, I promise you will hear better.
5. LBD – We all need that go to dress that we know we can rely on. Finding the perfect LBD takes time but once you find it grab it and never let it go. they key to this piece is finding one thats made well and can wear it ten times with different accessories and no one will ever know. Life just got so much easier. Victoria Beckam obviously got the memo as did Alice and Olivia. – Elizabeth Hedrickson | For more from Elizabeth visit www.LaPetiteVenice.com
Not ready for the super high investment? Well, we got you covered. Here are a couple of these looks for less that you can shop now until you get your coveted long lasting closet staples.